The Compelling Why leverages our personal and professional network and access to individuals who believe as we do that with the right motivation and opportunity every student can create their best reality. That is why we are offering a unique cultural and academic enrichment opportunity for Compelling Why students to experience New York City, one of the most iconic places in the world, known for finance, fashion, diversity, Broadway, pizza, its subway system, Central Park, art and freedom.
The NYC Experience is a 4-day/3-night adventure curated by The Compelling Why and hosted by native Texan Alan H. Green, actor of Broadway and TV. The trip will take place June 4-7, 2020.
This is an opportunity to broaden your knowledge and life experiences by attending a Broadway show and meeting the cast, visiting a college campus and touring NYC landmarks.
We are looking for up to 12 students who are living the Compelling Why pillars of success and leadership!
Applications accepted February 14 – March 6, 2020
- Currently enrolled in 8th – 12th grade.
- Student must have attended a Compelling Why Success Session or Leadership Series.
- Overall GPA 2.5.
- Active member of a school-sanctioned extra-curricular organization, club or community-based youth development organization. Volunteering or holding down a part-time job counts too. Extra points awarded for officer-level participation or involvement with a Compelling Why community partner.
- Must submit a 250-word essay describing how the New York City Experience will help achieve “Your Why.”
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or youth development organization.
Cost: Airfare, lodging and most meals included in your NYC Experience scholarship from the Compelling Why and its sponsors. You will need money for incidentals and souvenirs.
Students who are living the Compelling Why pillars of success and leadership:
|COMPELLING WHY PILLARS OF SUCCESS AND LEADERSHIP|
|Value their education||Strive for integrity in all that they do|
|Know their “why” (purpose)||Build commitment with passion and resilience|
|Own their success (and failures) personal responsibility||Create strong relationships using their emotional intelligence|
|Actively engage in extra-curricular activities||Work toward the best results in a collaborative manner|
- Download NYC Experience Instructions, Application and Letter of Recommendation (LOR) Form. Recommend downloading file to local computer before completing the form otherwise you entered data may not be saved. *
- Discuss with your Compelling Why advisor. Plan your application strategy.
- Discuss with your parents. You’ll need their permission.
- Live your best Compelling Why life this school year!
* The application and LOR are a fillable Adobe Acrobat PDFs. Download free Acrobat Reader DC software to view and fill out the forms.